Friday, January 05, 2007

Friday Spotlight on Mr. Blumenthal


Derek Blumenthal

Math Teacher

Woodbury Jr.-Sr. High School






•Name:
Derek Blumenthal

• College(s) and degrees(s):
BA – Rowan University - Mathematics

• Work experience:
First year teacher!

• Favorite books
o fiction: The Lord of the Rings Triology
o nonfiction: The Bible

• Favorite television show:
Lost

• Last movie I loved:
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

• Music CD that I have almost worn out from repeated playing:
Third Eye Blind’s first album (self titled)

• Person (living or not) that I’d like to have lunch with and why:
C. S. Lewis (author of The Chronicles of Narnia, amongst other things) because he has a way of articulating things that blows my mind.

• Visiting this place makes me peaceful:
Ithaca, NY – Cliff jumping!

• One item on my “to do” list that I can’t seem to get to:
Finish building my arcade machine

• Favorite animal (domestic or wild):
Narwhal. -- Definitely.

• Favorite sports team:

Philadelphia 76ers

• Destination of my fantasy vacation trip:
Somewhere in French Polynesia

• Details about the teacher I will never forget who inspired me to enter the profession:
Mr. Barnshaw was my 11th grade US History II teacher. On top of having a passion for his subject matter, he deeply loved his job and his students. He treated everyone like family, regardless of what he received in return, and strived to see us succeed. I hope to bring that attitude into my own career and hopefully leave a lasting impression on my students.

No comments: