Friday, June 22, 2007

Thank You, Teachers

One of our teachers, Dan O'Leary, had his child accompany him to school this spring on the annual “Take Your Child to Work” day. His son, a second grader, enjoyed his day and wrote a short essay about his experiences. The school principal at his son’s school saw it and published it on the front page of the school newsletter.

Today, I was a 6th, 7th, 8th and high school teacher at Woodbury School where my dad teaches. It felt nice leading and helping all the kids. I got to experience how teachers work and feel every day.

It felt different being a teacher than a student. Being a teacher felt good to help kids learn. It also can feel frustrating when the kids don’t listen, misbehave, or don’t do their work.

I learned how teachers prepare for a lesson and how hard they work with their kids. I really liked teaching reading because we read Dracula and all the kids were very interested and excited about it. I did not like math because it was a bit boring and a kid did not behave.

I liked being a teacher it was fun and hard work. I think a teacher is one of the most important jobs in the world because you are teaching kids how to grow up. Teachers are like moms and dads away from home.


On this last day of teaching for the 2006-07 school year, I would like to thank all of our teachers for working so hard each day to make the learning experience meaningful for our students.

I wish everyone a safe, enjoyable summer.

No comments: