Drivers holding a GDL license have the following restrictions placed upon them:
· May not drive between 12:01 and 5:00am.
· May not have more than one friend in the car
· May not use a cell phone (including hands free) or any other hand-held electronic device (Note: GPS systems - portable or built in - and iPods connected to a vehicle's sound system are permitted, but a teen should not make any adjustments to these devices while driving)
· Must ensure that they and ALL of their passengers wear seatbelts
· Face a fine of $100 and possible license suspension for violation of GDL law
· May not plea-bargain any point carrying offense
The NJ Motor Vehicle Commission is charged with designing and distributing the decal, which must be displayed on a vehicle's front and rear license plate when a permit or provisional license holder under 21 years of age is driving. The decal will be:
· Affixed with a velcro system to allow for its removal when GDL holder is not behind the wheel.
· Reflectorized so it can be seen at night
· Non-descript (it is intended for law enforcement purposes)
· $4 per pair at MVC agencies (Note: MVC is developing a bulk purchase program for driving schools, high schools, police departments, and other organizations)