Friday, September 14, 2007

Spotlight on Ms. Stocker




Maureen Stocker

Teacher of Social Studies

Woodbury Jr.-Sr. High School




•Name:
Maureen Stocker

• College(s) and degrees(s):
Fashion Institute of Technology, Fine Arts major
Moore College of Art & Design, BFA, Art History & Studio Art
LaSalle University, MA, Secondary Education

• Work experience:
I previously worked for Freeman's Auction House in Philadelphia. For the most part I handled all of the buyers for Client Services. On several occasions I had the opportunity to catalogue and appraise African, Pre-Columbian, Oceanic and Japanese art pieces for auction. Working for an auction house was an extremely exciting experience. I had the pleasure of handling several rare and unique works of art.

• Favorite books
o fiction: The Harry Potter series and I really love murder mysteries
o nonfiction: Anything art history or history

• Favorite television show:
I’m totally addicted to Lost

• Last movie I loved:
I took my 2 year old niece to see Shrek 3 ; we both loved it.

• Music CD that I have almost worn out from repeated playing:
With Teeth Nine Inch Nails

• Person (living or not) that I’d like to have lunch with and why:
My grandmother (who passed away 3 years ago). I really miss hanging out with her; she was an amazing lady.

• Visiting this place makes me peaceful:
The Archaeology and Anthropology Museum at University of Pennsylvania

• One item on my “to do” list that I can’t seem to get to:
Cleaning the trunk of my car. I have the most random things in there.

• Favorite animal (domestic or wild):
I love cats, domestic or wild.

• Destination of my fantasy vacation trip:
Nigeria, to visit the Yoruba tribe and witness the Egungun Festival.

• Details about the teacher I will never forget who inspired me to enter the profession:
Mr. Muccolini, whom I had the pleasure of taking three courses with in high school (World Cultures, Economics and Contemporary International Affairs). He thought outside the box and taught outside of it too. He encouraged thinking, debates and speaking our minds. He challenged me and made me interested in learning. He valued me as a person despite the fact that I wasn't the most stellar student.

I had the pleasure of running into him last November. When I told him the career I was pursuing and that he'd inspired me to do it, he was so excited. We have kept in touch since then and he gives me tons of helpful hints. He's still challenging me and encouraging me. He is also still thinking outside the box; he has a pirate flag on an obnoxiously tall flag pole on his lawn.

Other facts:
• I have three brothers, all of whom I absolutely adore. I have two nephews and three nieces that I love to spoil.
• Published a paper in January entitled, “Educational Theory of Booker T. Washington.” Finding out that I was published was a dream come true; it was my proudest moment. http://www.newfoundations.com/GALLERY/Washington.html
• I was an exchange student to Austria when I was 15.
• I lived in New York City for five years and in Dublin, Ireland for one year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maureen! This is fabulous. I'm sure your students adore you as much as you admire your former history teacher. Congratulations, and I hope you get to make that trip to Africa.

Anonymous said...

Hello Maureen,

I understand you'll love a trip to Nigeria to witness firsthand the egungun festival. I must say that would be pretty adventorous. My name is Femi. I am in the US Navy and I am from the Yoruba tribe of Nigeria. If you wish I could give you some insight as to best way to undertake your trip. e mail me at :olufemi.o.apata@navy.mil. Looking forward to talking to you.

Femi