Friday, November 14, 2008

Spotlight on Mrs. Evans



Mrs. Denise Evans

School Psychologist

Woodbury City Public School District





Name:
Denise Evans

• College(s) and degrees(s):
Temple University--earned my M.Ed in School Psychology; working toward my Ph.D in School Psychology (anticipated May 2009)

• Work experience:
I completed my internship at Paulsboro School District during the 2007-2008 school year. Prior to that, I worked at NewPoint Behavioral Health (formerly Gloucester County Mental Health) as a case management supervisor. I helped to link children and their families to mental health resources in Gloucester county and then supervised the delivery of these services. As a result, I feel more comfortable in navigating the mental health system and am more than happy to provide any assistance.

• Favorite books:
o fiction: Harry Potter series
o nonfiction: Anything related to ancient civilizations (Incan, Mayan, Roman)

Favorite television show:
I love LOST, 24, The Office, and The Tudors

Last movie I loved:
I'm a big fan of all the Harry Potter movies, but the last movie I saw was the new Indiana Jones film -- it was pretty good.

Music CD that I have almost worn out from repeated playing:
Jack Johnson

Visiting this place makes me peaceful:
I enjoy going to the park by my house or the library.

One item on my “to do” list that I can’t seem to get to:
Finishing my dissertation--ugh, so frustrating

Favorite animal (domestic or wild):
Panda bears

Favorite sports team:
Pittsburgh Steelers!!!

Destination of my fantasy vacation trip:
Italy or Jerusalem

Details about the reasons I entered the profession:
When I was young, my best friend lived next door. Her mother was diagnosed with mental health problems and ended up taking her own life. This had a devastating impact on my friend, who was very close with her mother. She was eventually diagnosed with similar mental health problems but sought out the help of a psychologist. This psychologist encouraged her talk about the issues with which she struggled and helped her address her problems head on. At the time, I remember wishing that I could help her and feeling like my hands were tied due to my lack of understanding regarding what she was going through and what I could do. After witnessing a positive change in her whole demeanor and attitude toward life, I decided that I wanted to learn more about psychology and what drives behavior and behavior change. After graduating from college, I decided to combine my own love of learning and children with psychology and attended graduate school to become a school psychologist. After many years of studying hard, I'm here to begin my journey as a Woodbury School Psychologist. I am looking forward to a great year!

No comments: