Thursday, June 21, 2007

Spotlight on Mr. Gamble



John W. Gamble

Principal

Walnut Street School






(Note: Mr. Gamble is retiring at the end of this school year after thirty-one years as an administrator in the Woodbury Public School system. We thank him and wish him well!)


•Name:
John W. Gamble

• College(s) and degrees(s):
West Chester University -- B.A. – Political Science
West Chester University – Masters Degree in Educational Administration
Temple University Principal Certification

• Work experience:
High School Teacher of Social Studies and English
Coached basketball, baseball and soccer
Principal – Woodbury Jr.-Sr. High School, West End School, Walnut Street School

• Favorite books
o fiction: Anything by James Patterson
o nonfiction: When Pride Still Mattered – David Maraniss

• Favorite television show:
Antiques Roadshow; ESPN; Two and one-half Men

• Last movie I loved:
Any movie I see with my granddaughter

• Person (living or not) that I’d like to have lunch with:
My dad who passed away years ago in his mid-fifties. He was a sensitive, caring person who taught me to value people and simple things in life. He also was the only person who was glad and supportive of my decision to forego a career in law to become a teacher and coach.

• Visiting this place makes me peaceful:
Any place on the water.

• One item on my “to do” list that I can’t seem to get to:
September at the beach; “finish” my basement

• Favorite animal (domestic or wild):
Dogs, cats, horses, deer – I love animals

• Favorite sports team:

Eagles, Phillies, Penn State, and the “Herd”

• Destination of my fantasy vacation trip:
The moon – or at least a beach, a book, a beverage, and my wife

• Details about the teacher I will never forget who inspired me to enter the profession:
An individual who really cared about all students, both as students and as people. One who enjoyed teaching and the subject, and was always enthusiastic and energetic. This teacher worked hard and was always prepared for class, inspiring students to do the same. This person saw the positive in each student and set high expectations for all of us.

• Any other last words/message?
When I first came to Woodbury, I knew no one. Thirty-one years later, I leave here with a strong love and respect for this school district and the many students whom I have had; the town/community; and the wonderful staff with whom I’ve worked. I am thankful for having had the opportunity to work here and will cherish the memories forever.

No comments: