Friday, February 08, 2008

Spotlight on Mrs. Foran



Stephanie Foran

Teacher of Enrichment

Elementary Schools







•Name:
Stephanie Foran

• College(s) and degrees(s):
o B.S. in Elementary Education, with a concentration in English, and M.A. in Education from The University of Connecticut (UConn), where I took classes with professors from the renowned National Research Center on the Gifted & Talented
o Took a graduate level counselor education course at The Pennsylvania State University (Penn State)
o Am currently pursuing my English as a Second Language (ESL) Endorsement Certificate at Rowan University.

• Work experience:
o Have taught English as a Second Language (ESL) to adults for the past six years (at community college & through community education programs)
o Served as a ESL Campus Manager at Burlington County College
o Taught English to Italian high school students at Rider University's Study Tours Program
o Taught GED and Adult Basic Education (ABE) classes
o Taught after-school Spanish Enrichment classes for children
o Taught Grade 4 summer school
o Created my own ESL private tutoring business, teaching a total of over 100 children and adults over a two-year period
o Served as a Project Facilitator at an adult education agency

• Favorite books
o Fiction: The Secret Life of Bees, Tuck Everlasting, Bridge to Terabithia

o Nonfiction: Reason for Hope, Everyday Sacred & Stretching Lessons, The Faith Club and books by Sark.
I also love the poetry of William Wordsworth and am a collector and lover of quotes.

• Favorite television show:
Reruns of Roseanne

• Last movie I loved:
Matilda - I had seen it before, but I enjoyed it again recently.

• Music CD that I have almost worn out from repeated playing:
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Person (living or not) that I’d like to have lunch with and why:
My best friend, Kate (whom I met in kindergarten!), an environmental educator living in Wyoming at the moment, because I don't get to see her often and because she is the kindest, most thoughtful, and most adventurous person I know.

• Visiting this place makes me peaceful:
Amish Country (the non-touristy parts)

• One item on my “to do” list that I can’t seem to get to:
Keeping my house as neat as I’d like it to be (there are too many more exciting things to do!)

• Favorite animal (domestic or wild):
Flamingo

• Favorite sports team:
The underdog

• Destination of my fantasy vacation trip:
Ireland & Italy or Hawaii, or any place that is new and exciting with the company of my husband, the best travel buddy in the world!

• Details about the teacher I will never forget who inspired me to enter the profession:
I feel truly lucky to say that the majority of my teachers were all wonderful and made a lasting impression on me, and I loved school from the very start, so I knew I wanted to be a teacher at a young age. However, two particular teachers stand out in my mind as being especially inspirational to me--my 8th grade English teacher, Mrs. Cynthia Field, and my sophomore year high school English teacher, Miss Phyllis Muldoon. Both of these teachers challenged and encouraged me, fed my appetite for reading and writing, caused me to examine my own beliefs and reflect on important issues in life, and were passionate about what they taught. I hope to do the same for my own students.


MY APPROACH TO TEACHING: I view each child as a unique individual and think it is very important to get to know students as people in addition to pupils in order to teach them well.


CLOSING THOUGHT: “One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.” –Carl Gustav Jung

No comments: