Friday, October 30, 2009

Spotlight on Mr. Lessman


Jacob Lessman

Teacher of Special Education

Evergreen Avenue Elementary


• Name:
Jake Lessman

• College(s) and degrees(s):
University of Delaware, Bachelors of Science in Elementary Teacher Education
Certification Area: Special Education

• Work experience:
Para-Professional at the Delaware Autism Program, Residential Component

• Favorite book:
Mr. Fine Porcupine

• Favorite television show:
Star Trek

• Last movie I loved:
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

• Music CD that I have almost worn out from repeated playing:
Mixed CD of Chris Daugtry and other rock songs

• Person (living or not) that I’d like to have lunch with and why:
The President -- because I'd love to be able to meet and talk to someone of that importance. (I'd love to see the White House, too!)

• Visiting this place makes me peaceful:
Back roads of rural areas

• One item on my “to do” list that I can’t seem to get to:
getting to the gym

• Favorite animal (domestic or wild):
Penguin

• Favorite sports team:
Eagles

• Destination of my fantasy vacation trip:
Australia

• Details about the teacher I will never forget who inspired me to enter the profession:
When I was nine years old, my mother, who is also a special education teacher, was doing home bound instruction for another nine year old girl. After several sessions with her, my mom decided that the girl would benefit from a same-aged friend. So, my mother decided to bring me along. She was unable to talk to me, but we never had trouble communicating. We would play together, work on projects together, and do just about anything that friends did. I even helped my mom teach her during visits. We became really close friends. I'd attend her birthday parties and she'd attend mine. I looked forward to our visits. Unfortunately, her health started to decline. When we were both eleven, she passed away. I didn't realize until years later what an impact she had on me. I saw the difference that I could make in someone's life and the incredible impact that they could have on me. I have made it a point to not forget the lessons I learned from this young girl and have dedicated my career to helping students the way I saw my mother help her.

No comments: