Friday, October 16, 2009

Spotlight on Mrs. Stankiewicz


Lauren Stankiewicz

Teacher of Special Education

Evergreen Avenue Elementary




• Name:
Lauren Stankiewicz

• College(s) and degrees(s):
Camden County College -Associates Degree
Rutgers University - BA Sociology, K-8 Teacher Certification
Rutgers Graduate School of Education- Teacher of The Handicapped Certification

• Work experience:
Voorhees School District - Trained by Lovaas Institute to provide ABA therapy in the homes of children and families who were diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Evesham Township School District- Taught preschool handicapped program for five years.
Gloucester County Special Services School District- Provided Autism Consulting services, Homebound Instruction and Early Intervention to children and their families In the Gloucester County area.
Washington Township Public Schools- Long term maternity leave substitute for preschool disabled program.

• Favorite books:
o fiction: "A Walk to Remember" Nicholas Sparks
o nonfiction: "Educating Esme: Diary of a Teacher's First Year" Esme Raji Codell

• Favorite television show:
Big Brother

• Last movie I loved:
Anywhere But Here

• Music CD that I have almost worn out from repeated playing:
Martina McBride-Greatest Hits

• Person (living or not) that I’d like to have lunch with and why:
I would like to have lunch with my deceased grandfather who passed away from cancer when I was fifteen. I always thought that he was wise and gave good advice. He was always eager to ask about school, and he made sure that I understood how important it was to get a good education. When I graduated from college I was thinking of him and how he was always with me even though he was not alive. I would like to tell him that he helped to make me who I am today with his words of wisdom and encouragement.

• Visiting this place makes me peaceful:
The Beach

• One item on my “to do” list that I can’t seem to get to:
Writing thank you cards

• Favorite animal (domestic or wild):
Dog

• Favorite sports team:
Philadelphia Eagles

• Destination of my fantasy vacation trip:
Bermuda

• Details about the teacher I will never forget who inspired me to enter the profession:
I will never forget Mrs. Kershener my second grade teacher. Mrs. Kershener was the kind of teacher who noticed a child’s strengths and built upon them. She would support a child in any area that was a struggle. She was always kind and patient in making sure that you understood what was expected. I wanted to be just like her when I grew up.

No comments: