Friday, October 02, 2009

Spotlight on Mr. Vernon

Andrew Burns Vernon

Teacher of Social Studies

Woodbury Jr.-Sr. High School




• Name:
Andrew Burns Vernon

• College(s) and degrees(s):
LaSalle University B.A. in History Minor in education.
Rider University Graduate Level Teaching Certification.

Work experience:
I worked two years at Haddon Heights High School in variety of roles ranging from proctoring study halls, coaching, discipline, and teaching History.

• Favorite books:
o fiction: Being a Social Studies teacher I am not really into fiction.
o nonfiction: When March Went Mad, Founding Myths, Lincoln's Constitution, Blood on the Moon

• Favorite television show:
The Wonder Years, Sports Center

• Last movie I loved:
Good Will Hunting

• Music CD(song) that I have almost worn out from repeated playing:
Bruce Springsteen -- specifically "Spirit in the Night." I listen to that song on repeat daily.

• Person (living or not) that I’d like to have lunch with and why:
Lincoln. After studying someone for a long period of time, reading letters and making speculations, it would be great to get his personal perspective on a number of issues.

• Visiting this place makes me peaceful:
Atsion Lake

• One item on my “to do” list that I can’t seem to get to:
Run a marathon

• LEAST favorite animal (domestic or wild):
I STRONGLY DISLIKE SNAKES

• Favorite sports team:
Eagles, then the Phillies

• Destination of my fantasy vacation trip:
AVID summer professional development in Italy

• Details about the teacher I will never forget who inspired me to enter the profession:
Despite the many teachers that have inspired me over the years I must choose one that has never taught me…. in a classroom. In addition to the many other roles my mother took head on, I must say she made a wonderful teacher in life. Life lessons and study help aside, having a teacher in your family gives you insight and appreciation for just how hard educators must work to be effective. There is no better inspiration for becoming an educator than seeing someone working diligently to make a difference in your life and the lives of others.

No comments: