Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Marriage, Parenting, and Schools -- Continued

And . . . a taste of reality. I did not plan it this way when I wrote what I did the other day, but on the heels of yesterday’s post, I find myself a “single” parent for the day. My wife is with one of my son’s overnight attending to his recovery from minor (is there such a thing?) surgery.

I realize that my taste of being a single parent is really not the same as those who do this every day. I have been provided a bit of a script and the medicines that are required the three remaining sons that are my charge happen to all be left out together on the counter. Little things like that make this only a taste of what it is like to be really on your own.

Well. First of all, and most importantly, let me say that I am glad that only the first grader had homework. The fifth grade student did want to review his classwork – at 9:30 p.m. -- and that turned into some homework. We set out clothes for the next day (because that’s part of a routine, thanks to my wife – routines are good). Bed by 10:00 p.m. right!?! Oh my.

Alarm clock. Now, I just need to feed myself breakfast, prepare three other breakfasts (or maybe two if the high school student is still sick!). Get one guy to before-school intramurals and the other to a sitter to await the school bus. Oh, yes, and pack lunches. I can’t forget that one – that wouldn’t be good.

One small victory --- the two younger ones and I did read a book before that late bedtime. I am thankful for small victories. This is hard work. Special thanks to all the moms and dads who are doing this parenting business on their own.

I always have said that I became a better educator once I had my own children. I need to revise that statement – I believe that I would become and even better educator if I had to parent my children on my own for any length of time. Right now, I am just glad that length of time is twenty-four hours!

No comments: