Friday, May 04, 2007

Spotlight on Mrs. Branyan



Carla Branyan

ESL Teacher












(Note: Mrs. Branyan is retiring at the end of this school year. She began work in the field of education as the Director and Kindergarten Teacher at St. John's Learning Center in Melrose Park, PA. During the last few years, Mrs. Branyan has worked as an ESL teacher in the Woodbury Public Schools. We thank her for her work with our students and wish her well!)


•Name:
Carla Branyan

• College(s) and degrees(s):
Arcadia University – BS in Elementary Education
Rowan University – Certificate to teach ESL

• Work experience:
28 years teaching preschool, kindergarten, 2nd grade, special services (migrant), and ESL

• Favorite books
o fiction: Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Where the Wild Things Are
o nonfiction: All educational magazines and child development texts

• Favorite television show:
24; I’m also hanging in for Lost in case it ever starts to make sense.

• Last movie I loved:
Bend It Like Becham

• Music CD that I have almost worn out from repeated playing:
Phantom of the Opera

• Person (living or not) that I’d like to have lunch with:
Jimmy Carter is so very inspirational. He continues to teach Sunday school and help with world issues, doing so much to help humanity.

• Visiting this place makes me peaceful:
The ocean

• One item on my “to do” list that I can’t seem to get to:
Clean out the loft and have a garage sale.

• Favorite animal (domestic or wild):
Rabbit

• Favorite sports team:

Phillies

• Destination of my fantasy vacation trip:
Traveling through Europe to visit cathedrals, museums, and schools

• Details about the teacher I will never forget who inspired me to enter the profession:
My father was a business education teacher in the days of shorthand and typing. He worked hard, and he told many funny stories about school and children. He always urged me to “Do it Now”, (before Nike’s “Just do it”) and “What’s a better way to do this?” I have tried to instill these ideas into my philosophy of teaching.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are great...how are staff picked to be "in the spotlight"?

Joseph Jones said...

Thanks. The "Spotlight On . . ." has featured our new faculty and has run on Fridays. Now that the year is coming to an end and the new faculty have just about been exhausted (I think I have one more to add!), I have shifted the focus to those who will be retiring at the end of this year.

Again, I am glad you have enjoyed these entries.