Teacher of Grade 5 – West End School
Eliza A. Cadorette
• College(s) and degrees(s):
University of Nevada, Las Vegas – BS – Elementary Education
New Jersey City University – MA – Special Education
• Work experience:
2003-05 – Newark, NJ – Basic Skills Teacher – Grades K-8
2005-07 – Tenafly, NJ – 2nd and 5th teacher
• Favorite books
o Fiction: Love that Dog by Sharon Creech
o Nonfiction: Memoir: A Long Way Gone – MEMOIRS OF A BOY SOLDIER by Ishmael Beah – tells his experience as a child soldier from Sierra Leone. Truly inspirational!
• Favorite television show:
Top Chef and Lost
• Last movie I loved:
Little Miss Sunshine
• Music CD that I have almost worn out from repeated playing:
Live at Central Park (I was there!) - Dave Matthews Band
• Person (living or not) that I’d like to have lunch with and why:
My father who passed in 2000. He always had a corny joke to tell and an adventure story to share.
• Visiting this place makes me peaceful:
• One item on my “to do” list that I can’t seem to get to:
Writing a children’s book
• Favorite animal (domestic or wild):
My Welsh Terrier, Scruffy
• Favorite sports team:
To play basketball; to watch football – Go Giants!
• Destination of my fantasy vacation trip:
• Details about the teacher I will never forget who inspired me to enter the profession:
Mr. DeVencenzio was my photography teacher in high school. He was a down-to-earth teacher/artist who encouraged me to think “outside the box”. He never limited my creativity and always believed in my talent.
I love traveling the world. I have been to Australia, New Zealand and Costa Rica, just to name a few. Last year, I became friends with a school in Uganda through a pen pal program. With the help of my students and the community, we were able to raise over $4,000. This money went towards supplies, concrete flooring food, and tuition for students. I hope to visit my friends across the ocean in the summer of 2009.