Friday, September 26, 2008

Spotlight on Ms. Bourquin




Kathryn Bourquin


Teacher of Social Studies


Woodbury Jr.-Sr. High School


• Name:

Kate Bourquin

• College(s) and Degrees(s):

Fairfield University - B.A. Political Science

The College of New Jersey - M.A.T. Secondary Education (Social Studies)

• Work experience:

South Amboy High School: Two years high school history

• Favorite books:

o fiction: My Sister's Keeper; A Thousand Splendid Suns
o nonfiction: Standing Tall by C. Vivian Stringer

• Favorite television show:

Eagles games on Sunday or Monday Night

• Last movie I loved:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

• Music CD that I have almost worn out from repeated playing:

Sara Bareilles or Toby Lightman

• Person (living or not) that I’d like to have lunch with and why:

Ms. Piotrowski, my 5th grade teacher; she was the inspiration for me to become a teacher.

• Visiting this place makes me peaceful:

Kelly Drive

• One item on my “to do” list that I can’t seem to get to:

Win money in Atlantic City

• Favorite animal (domestic or wild):

Platypus

• Favorite sports team:

Philadelphia Eagles

• Destination of my fantasy vacation trip:

Egypt or Fiji

• Details about the teacher I will never forget who inspired me to enter the profession:

My 5th grade teacher was very caring. One day on a social studies test that was returned to me, she wrote on the top of the paper, "You're really good at social studies. You should be a social studies teacher!" At the end of school that day, I went up to her and told her, "I think you're right." The next week, she let me teach social studies class.

That small event has motivated me to become the best, most caring teacher that I cam be. I hope that I can have that same impact upon one or more of my students.

No comments: